Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 13: Presumtion

A lot of adolescents are growing up today knowing more about pop idols than the country that they live in. Maybe they could name the nation's capital, but could they find it on a map? I've seen the humorous videos of late night comedy networks depicting kids without a clue, but I hope that the bias that the interviewers are trying to depict is eventually dissolved by a new, educated youth.
Much the same, I was a product of my environment and didn't know that a couple phrases were added to our currency and pledge of allegiance in the 1950's until after recent research. Now when I explain this, I get the "deer in the headlights" look. Indiana knows what I mean - about the deer. Presumption can be dangerous. In this case it may imply that the country was founded on Christianity. This is dangerous because it may lead to other presumptions about what the United States should be all about. Fortunately, I've done my own research and have finally got some honest answers - things to think about, rather than sayings that appear to be correct based on assumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment